The Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s Aquatic Services Division is proud to offer the American Red Cross training and certification programs. Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor Certification courses prepare individuals for jobs in a variety of aquatic settings such as country clubs, camps and municipal swimming pools. We also offer re-certification courses in both Lifeguarding and CPR.
To register please download and print the registration form and follow the instructions for submitting it.
Training Registration Form »
2013 Training Schedule »
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Course Prerequisites (as of January 2012)
- Must be at least 15 years old (by last day of class)
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing (can use freestyle or breaststroke only)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds—Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive, feet‐first or head‐first to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10‐pound object.
- Surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding the object during entire return swim. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- Must be at least 16 years old (by last day of class)
- Must possess American Red Cross Level 4 competencies or equivalent: Front Crawl 25 yards, Elementary Backstroke 25 yards, Breaststroke 15 yards, Back Crawl 15 yards, Butterfly 15 yards.
Training Course Information and FAQ
What if I cannot attend one class time? Can I make it up?
Unfortunately no, the course material and skills sessions would be compromised if provided on an individual basis. Students may transfer into another course session before the start date of the course.
How do I transfer into another course session?
A student may transfer into another course session up to 48 hours before the course begins, or if he/she does not pass the pre-course session. All transfers must be completed by the Aquatic Office by phone at 214-670-1926.
What if I do not pass the pre-course session?
Students who do not pass the pre-course session will have the option of transferring into another session of the course. We recommend that the student works on his/her swimming skills before the next session.
What is your cancellation policy?
If a student decides not to reattempt the course at a later date after failing the pre-course, he/she must request the refund within 14 business days of the first day of the course. We will refund the amount less a $5 processing fee.
*We do not provide refunds to students who attend but do not successfully complete the course.
What do I need to bring to class?
Students need to bring a swimsuit, change of clothes, writing utensil, two towels, and a sack lunch (if applicable). Snacks are encouraged for long days, and a sweatshirt is recommended.
Do we have breaks during the course?
Yes. The course is designed with breaks, and a short lunch break is provided on long days.
How do I pass the course?
In order to pass the course a student must attend all classes, participate and meet the requirements of all skill sessions, pass the practical exams, and pass the 2 written exams with an 80%.
Will I be certified upon completion of the course?
Yes. Upon successful completion of the course students are certified. Students will receive proof of their certification within 10 business days of completion.
What certifications will I receive?
Lifeguarding and First Aid (valid for 2 years); and CPR and AED (valid for 2 years)
Water Safety Instructor (valid for 2 years)
If I take a course with you will I be guaranteed a position with Dallas Aquatics?
We provide American Red Cross training. This certification is used by many municipalities, country clubs and health clubs in the DFW area. We hire many students from our training classes, but do not guarantee a position on our staff to students of our training courses.