Community Pool Lifeguard
STARTING PAY RATE: $12.06/hr.
- Sixteen years old
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification or the ability to obtain such by the end date of seasonal employee orientation. If required certifications are not obtained by the end date of seasonal employee orientation, candidates must attend the next available certification course offered by the City of Dallas before reporting to assigned work location.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Head Guard and Pool Manager.
- Observes swimmers from guard stand or poolside and cautions swimmers of rule violations to enforce pool safety rules.
- Conducts appropriate emergency and rescue techniques including cardiopulmonary resuscitation for distressed or drowning swimmers.
- Administers first aid to pool patrons for injuries such as cuts, abrasions, sprains, and contusions to provide basic medical assistance as needed.
- Reports injuries, accidents, and assistance rendered to patrons to the pool manager and documents each occurrence to maintain proper files on such occurrences.
- Cleans pool, pool area, and restrooms to maintain a clean and sanitary facility.
- Inspects pool equipment such as ladders, diving boards, and guard stands.
- Monitors and documents water quality to ensure that the pool water maintains a proper chemical balance.
- Assists with special events, swim meets, and swimming classes.
- May perform head lifeguard or cashier duties to assist the pool manager in pool operation duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
* Lifeguards with an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification qualify for a Lifeguard/WSI position.